View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Antitrust: Is there really a point?

[ QUOTE ]
Ideas are not tangible, therefore they are not property. It is quite simple. I realize that producers lose some incentive to create without IP laws. This is merely because they aren't guaranteed a government-aided monopoly. They will, however, have a greater incentive to produce efficiently, as this is where profits will come from.

[/ QUOTE ] Again, I'm confused. Forgive me, but I find it ridiculous to suggest that producers will create ANYTHING due to a desire to produce efficiently. The fact is, people who create things want to be compensated for the fact that they created it. I'm not saying others can't study, from an outsider's point of view, the ideas of the producer...that's how competitors form a lot of the time. But, from your point of view, no idea, theory, or anything else from the mind is anything but public domain.

From that point of view, what's to stop me from doing a note-for-note reconstruction of famous rock songs, recording them, performing them, and calling them my own? After all, there are no IP laws...so who's to say that the original artist wrote it, anyway...and who cares if he did? The song became everyone's when he introduced it to the market.

It seems fun to believe that artists and producers would continue to produce sheerly for the joy of it...and they might...but we would never have any new ideas...because what fool would ever be so stupid as to share one of these ideas?