View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Stats, Downswings, and Whatnot

[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect

[/ QUOTE ]
Meaning of course that you intend to show no respect whatsoever.

You really could have made your valid constructive points without paragraphs of gratuitous insults.

I'll take some responsiblity here. I raised some of the subject matter of this thread with MrWookie yesterday. These downswing threads are happening and it's appropriate to think about whether we are going to do something.

I think he did a good thing by coming here and asking what you guys want us to do. It's your forum and it wouldn't exist without you.

My personal opinion as a reader/contributor is that downswing posts are pretty much a waste. They don't do much of anything to improve anyone's game and I don't find them entertaining. Just another type of N/C thread bumping the good stuff off the page.

Beats, Brags, and Variance is now designated for downswing posts. I agree that if SSSH members post their downswings in BBV many readers of this forum will not see them. But perhaps that should tell you something.

On the other hand many regulars do have a family feeling about this place and family sticks together. I get that and maybe it's more important than my desire for less clutter. The number of people who respond to these posts tells me that some people want them.

Stats posts are a whole different subject. They do have value for some people. Personally they help me understand how other people play and that's something I can take to the table and use next time I'm facing a strange TAG with a familiar-looking pattern of stats. For example it helps me know which hands a typical 30/20 is playing because I've seen 30/20 stat post threads.

They also sometimes help weaker players identify areas of their game that are far from "consensus" good play. Leaks can appear in stats but only big ones and only certain types. Good players should have stats that look perfectly acceptable even though they still have leaks to plug.

Anyway there is no reasonable home for SS 6-max stat posts except here so they need to stay. Booting real poker content off 2+2 is not something I want to be part of.

Don't think I don't know that many stats posts are BBV material in disguise. Police yourselves please. Ditto for waiting until you have enough hands. However much I may criticize a post for having a 5000-hand sample, that's just my opinion and I don't want to censure poker ideas because I disagree with them. Police yourselves please.

Anyway, these are my personal views.

What do you guys want us to be doing?