View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: A Mod Challenge: The Either/Or Idea

[ QUOTE ]
Will,

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the idea of ever possibly getting three-bet on the turn. It makes me hurl just thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really have this reaction. First off, I think our turn raise gets three-bet really rarely. Obviously getting three-bet is lame, but we'll have outs plenty of the time. Even if he has a made flush, the ultimate WCS, the flop-checkraise indicates that it's probably a low flush, and diamonds might make us good. We also have plenty of outs against sets and two pair, and it is very easy to fold the river UI...it's not like a guy you describe as "neutral postflop" is going to three-bet the turn AND lead the river with the ace of diamonds after we've shown so much strength.

So that's the bad. On the other hand, the turn raise does so many good things. A portion of the time we will be well ahead and extracting value. Another portion of the time, we will be making a fairly strong semi-bluff/free showdown play. It's going to be really rare that villain's holding is strong enough to three-bet. And if the turn is a non-diamond ace or king, then a raise will really put Qx to the test.

There's too much good stuff going on in these either/or situations to not raise.

Will