View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: FILM REVIEW: Syriana

I thought it was competently made but didn't care much for it.

Here's something weird I found about the plot:

George Clooney's character is double crossed, kidnapped and tortured. He has at least 2 fingernails pulled off with pliers (probably 3 because I am sure we later see 3 bandaged fingers) The guy torturing him wants to know who Clooney has worked for. Surely the guy already knows the answer. Clooney knows the guy knows the answer. He still refuses to talk. He is saved by the local Hezbolla agent who comes by just as Clooney's neck is about to severed and informs the torturer that Clooney has been give a get out of jail free pass while in Tehran.

So the torturer then rats to the media that Clooney is a CIA agent who is in Tehran to assasinate a prince. This happens to be true. The CIA quickly concots a story that Clooney is a rogue agent who has been uncontrollable since 9/11. He is then investigated by another gov't agency.

Having his nails pulled was no problem. Once he is 'under investigation' he snaps and basically goes on a mission to rat out the CIA to the prince.

wtf? Wouldn't any CIA agent EXPECT to be abandoned in a similar situation? Of course you are going to take the blame. I would think it's all part of the training.

btw while the finger nail torture is going on some other guys are playing cards for money in the next room and they only show mild interest even when the guy is about to cut Clooney's head off. I think I would have gotten up to see the beheading.

If I messed up any of the details of the plot here it was because it was very complicated and I saw it last week.

Also before I went in I was in the w/c throwing up (there was something about that in another thread) and some guy who just came out told my gf that it was the most boring movie he ever saw and the first time he actually snored through a movie. Anyone you know op?