View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Poker Pros - Do they really make it?

$50k/yr is a step up for me.

I make about $30k after expenses and my wife is currently pulling down about $28k. Promotion possiblities abound for her but I have a dead end job (I'm a carpet installer) unless I "move up" and open a store. I have no interest in working 80+ hours a week so that's not an option. I'm a good network and system administrator but can't handle a corporate environment. I can't program a computer beyond basic applications, I have no vision in that area. I cannot sell icewater to people in hell nor do I have a lick of business sense. My skills lie solely in the physical world... except for poker.

Assuming I don't invent the next pet rock, poker is a viable course of action. 60yr old ruggers are sad sacks indeed. Most never make it that far physically and end up selling carpet in some crappy retail store until retirement. Yuk.

My dream is to take down a major score in a large tournament and become a "fix-n-flip" real estate investor, possibly an absentee landlord if I found the right properties such as ski-area condos. I could build a frickin' empire if you gave me $350,000. Right now I'm happy to grind out a second income, build my 'roll and take shots via satellites at my dream... hey, it's better than trying to win the lottery [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

As a side note, one home I worked in last week had an invoice from an exclusive mail-order liquor store for more than my monthly mortgage payment. I guess if you want to drink port wine from 1835 you've gotta pay for it. He gave us a couple bottles of good California wine as a tip from his wine room of over 500 bottles. He couldn't have been over 35. Nice guy to boot [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I really wouldn't know what to do with the kind of money that guy makes... I wonder if I'd still drink PBR. Probably not.