View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: To libertarians / Rand clones

[ QUOTE ]
Simply draft all the unemployed and there is no unemployment!

[/ QUOTE ]

Strawman and absurd. All of the unemployed were not drafted. Nor when the war was over did unemployment skyrocket back into the 20's. Rather, the entire nation was put back to work, and in fact there were labor shortages, which means the economy is working at or beyond its full capacity. Not to mention you bring significant subjective judgement rather than objectively evaluating what was good or bad for the economy. Clearly we are analyzing what happened and not what should be done in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
And again with the GDP...

[/ QUOTE ]

More strawman arugment, coupled with your erroneous claim that all the government did was print money to pay for the war.

[ QUOTE ]
Inflation. You embolden 2.3% inflation like it's a good thing? Where are the inflation numbers from 1940 to 1944 I wonder?

[/ QUOTE ]

2.3% inflation is not only good, its excellent, on top of being vastly better than deflation that we were experiencing prior to the war. Don't have the exact numbers on me but the inflation numbers from 1940 to 1944 I know were below 3.0% each year, and inflation averaged about 3% right to 1970. Bernanke would kill to be able to see inflation average 3% for even the next 10 years. Again this is excellent, contrary to your fallacious claim that our government recklessly printed money and sent our inflation skyrocketing.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think any of these numbers imply a "robust" economy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? Full employment, new industries, tons of new non-military jobs, new and increased technological innovation, low steady inflation, booming corporations and employee compensation. I can very easily attribute all of this to the war.

Can you very easily attribute all of this to the cessation of New Deal legislature while showing the war had nothing to do with it?

[ QUOTE ]
There's no net economic gain because of the war.

[/ QUOTE ]

All you've done is deny this. Clearly our economy was in vastly better shape both during and after the war as compared to prior, and the onus is on you to prove that the war had no economic implications (or negative implications) and rather that it was solely because of the removal of the New Deal (specify exactly which policies), and that the war and our overnight escape from the depression were merely coincidental.