View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Check-calling for value

I find that my bets and raises are getting too much respect, so that I'm not getting paid off. When I've shown strength and my opponents are acting very weak, I'm starting to think I'd be better off check-calling and pretending like I've missed my hand or I'm afraid of the card that just came, so that they come with me all the way to the river (where I might bet or check-raise). What do you think?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 4.75 BB

MP3 has a VPIP of 56%, PFR of 7%, WTSD of 31%, and an aggression factor of 1.36 (after 366 hands). On the flop, I have an overpair and an OESD. Since it's heads-up, I'm not too worried about my opponent happening to have two clubs. Since I have two Jacks, he's much less likely to have any, and I don't think he's likely to have called with 76 or 65. Also, he probably doesn't have something like AK or a higher pair, as he probably would have raised those pre-flop. If he's got a Q, making a higher pair doesn't actually help him because it gives me a straight. Basically, I figure he's got 3 to 6 outs against me, likely to fold if I bet, but likely to bet if I check. Do you agree?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 4 BB

BB is very loose-passive. MP1 is a more decent player, but still on the loose-passive side.

On the turn, what's my best line for extracting value from these guys?