View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Winning too much....

You have to ask yourself why you play poker with your friends. (1) Do you play for money? (2) Do you play to socialize? (3) or Both?

I'm assuming that (3) is the answer. In that case, you should win SOME, but not ALL. Some people posted saying that, no matter what, they just hate to lose. But it's true for everybody, including your friends. They hate to lose, too. So if you're their 'friend,' then either play badly on purpose, or teach them a thing or two about poker every week. I prefer the latter option b/c they will thank you for the tips and the game just might be a little bit more challenging for you.

I'm not sure if simply playing loose is going to help out your friends. In loose games you might have the right pot odds to be loose so the loose style could actually be MORE profitable. (You just gotta call when you should fold to give some money back.)

And let your friends know one way or another that you play poker for money and you've read poker books. They might get REALLY pissed off if they lose money to you and then find out that you're 'Matt Damon' in Rounders.

I rather take money from my grandmama, not my friends.