View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Poker Pros - Do they really make it? Edit

[ QUOTE ]
I think we need to make a clear distinction between 50K as a poker pro and 50K as, say, a Police Officer. The latter in most cases has health benefits, sick pay, vacation pay, a pension plan and a disability plan. While the cop isn't "living large," his livelihood is certainly more stable than the 50K a year poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

While the poker-player gets to work whenever the hell they want and has virtually total freedom and flexibility.
While the policeman (or many other occupations) are spending money and time making the commute back and forth from work to home, don't get to take their job with them on a quick vacation if they like, and may have a prick for a boss.

I'm in a monster downswing right now so I'm roughly at the peak of what most would consider the most negative aspect of playing poker full-time for income...and I still think this is so much less stressful than many other 'real' jobs that it's not even close.

One can also consider that the $50k/yr poker-player, while not AS stable currently, has a lot of potential to become a $100k or $150k per year poker-player in the future if they continue to work at it and improve there game.
The police-officer likely has a decent pension that they working towards in the long-run...but they certainly aren't terribly likely to get a promotion where their $50k salary will suddenly become $100k simply because they are continuing to get better and better at their job.

Poker playing isn't for everyone.
Dr. Al makes some valid points. But they don't apply equally to all situations.
The dangers are more a product of self-discipline. Yes, you are sitting around a lot. So it's up TO YOU to make sure that your social-life and physical well-being don't suffer.
Have friends and join a health-club or something.

I get to spend more time with my GF and get to play in 2 different recreational soccer leagues. I won't get to do either in almost any other job.
Nor would I get the chance to win a trip to the WSOP (which I did) or other major events/vacations.

Even when I'm losing it doesn't feel THAT much like work.

My biggest issue with poker is that I don't feel lik eI'm contributing ANYTHING productive. I'm just sitting at home playing a game I kind of like and trying to make money.

Conversing with a friend of mine from college days and he's doing a lot with his career and is really making a difference. I tell him that I'm kind of jealous of him for that reason.
But he's over-worked and he's tired all the freaking time.
Lots of people with 'regular' job put in way more than 40 hours per week.
He tells me that he's probably more jealous of me because I can just get on a computer and 'make money' (although he knows it isn't exactly that easy).