View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: I was ruined by a downswing and advice.

Bez: "Stats can be good indicators at times but are not the be all and end all. There are no perfect stats. Maybe your playing style allowed you to gauge more easily when you were behind than other players."

see, this is honestly how it felt to me. by no means did i consider myself an expert player, but i felt that i had pretty good "instincts" about when i was beat, and felt that maybe it was just my playing style as it was, and it was working for me.

TYG: you are right. i was not ready to make those changes, and as things were i was very comfortable playing this way, and winning, but was afraid of becoming complacent and being exactly what you said, "weak-tight". also, i think my problem was that i got greedy, thinking that 2bb/100 was ok but that these things that i was supposedly doing wrong would add another 2bb/100 to my winrate. which they probably would, but it is not as easy as just calling down for the heck of it to get my stats "correct", which i realize now, but am woefully unaware of which particular edges need to be pushed.

mosquito: my "folded to river bet" hovers between 50% - 55%...that said, extremely rare is the time when i am being devastated by folding the winning hand in a large pot, and i am never folding to one bet on the river in a large pot. in marginal situations in a small pot heads up, i probably tend to fold those though unless i have a rock-solid read on an opponent. i guess with experience i will begin to be able to identify those edges more clearly.

thank you all for your thoughtful advice, just reading these posts begin to make me feel better about things.