View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Poker Pros - Do they really make it? Edit

[ QUOTE ]
I put a lot of thought into my post, I just didn't explain it all. I thought that any rational person would see that spending that much money on school was excessive and elitist. The same kind of elitism that can't comprehend anyone living on $50K.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing the point. It is not "irrational" to spend that amount of money on education if you value education that much. You are basically saying that since you individually do not think it should be spent that way, that it is a waste of money. It's the old "You disagree with me, so you are wrong" argument. If someone was making $30,000 a year and spending that amount on education, maybe you could say they are making a mistake. But if they have the means to do it, and they want to, they should have every right to do it. Education is going to get you somewhere in life.

[ QUOTE ]
This is equally lacking in common sense, and shows the same illogical attitude that parents can buy happiness, success, etc., for their children. The difference in "quality of education" between, say, an Ivy League school and a major state university, is vastly over-rated, particularly at the undergrad level. A good student can get a great education at either. The whole life experience of college is also important, and a student will learn a lot more about the real world and about life (like that people live on $50k) at a non-elite school. College students should also make a significant effort toward financing their own education. That is educational too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can assure you this is not true. While I did not go to an Ivy League undergraduate college, I did go to a very prestigious school, and it has made a huge difference in my life. Also, I assure you that I did not get into the college because of connections or anything like that. My parents are both teachers, and I did not go to elitist elementary schools or high schools. I worked hard, and had the opportunity to go there.

As a result of my education there, I have received great opportunities, that I definitely would not have received elsewhere. I am not saying that state schools are bad, or that you cannot receive a great education there. The University of Virginia and University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) are among the best in the country.

That said, it is ridiculous to say that going to an elite university is a waste of money. For one, I am guessing that you did not go to such an institution, so how do you know? Simply based on cost? It is pretty ridiculous that you are going to tell me that my parents made a mistake in footing the bill for my education. You do not know my circumstances, my goals, and the experiences and opportunities I have had.

As someone said, a large degree of what you are paying for is not only the education, but also the opportunies and doors that are opened in going there. Also, for those interested in going to graduate schools, your chances of getting into them are higher coming from an Ivy League undergraduate school (or a similar pretigious school), than from a state university. I am not saying this to be elitist - it is true, and can be shown through graduate school admissions statistics.

As far as the other issue, I've admitted that $50,000 can be a good living, depending on where you live and your circumstances. If you are in your twenties and living at home or cheaply, then you are definitely doing well for yourself.

But, as stated earlier, it really depends on your circumstances. I live in New York, and the cost of living here is high. Quite frankly, $30,000 is not a lot to live on here. That's why a much higher percentage of 20-30 year olds live at home after college or high school, compared to other areas like the Midwest and South, where rents and real estate are so much cheaper.

I am very thankful for everything I have. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to receive a great education, and that I have great parents who sacrificed a lot for my education. Someday, I hope to be able to provide for my own children in the same way.