View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Fishy 4th Street raise?

Could you have posted this hand to enjoy the lavish praise for your play? Just joking... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Actually, I do think it was a solid raise for a number of reasons:

- The dead 4 greatly reduces the chance that you are up against trips, and decreases the chance that your opponent will fill up when you improve. Plus, since he is a donk, the range of hands that he could have is ridonkulous.

- The number of limpers leads me to believe that the game tends to be on the passive side, so raising the field on 4th will probably be called all around, creating a sizeable pot.

- I agree that the relatively live ace high flush draw is usually the best draw, especially in this situation (In that when it hits, it will probably be the best hand). You are 4:1 against making your flush draw on 4th street ALONE, so your equity for the hand makes the raise +EV

- There is a moderate possibility that hitting an ace on 5th will give you extra outs, adding a little extra value to this hand.

You can make a counterarguement against the raise, because you may knock people out and increase the chances of winning the pot with aces up or aces if you miss the draw, but considering the calling tendencies of the table and your pot equity, the EV sides in favor of the raise.

What site do you play at again? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]