View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Poker Pros - Do they really make it?

[ QUOTE ]

For a while I have been thinking about poker professionals - those who choose to spend their life playing poker for a living. Having seen the industry and the way poker operates, I have begun to think that the number of people who actually make money off playing poker is actually very small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think someone posted in the zoo that a certain online site has approx 6-7% of its players are winners.

[ QUOTE ]

This is enhanced by the fact that many of the top professionals cannot stop themselves from constantly gambling their winnings (I'd recommend One of A Kind about Stu Ungar as a great way to get an insight into this mentality). Sure, someone may have a good year here and there, but how many professionals make enough money every single year to live comfortably? My guess is that it is not a very high number.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this has changed a bit. Malmuth stated in one of his essays that many of the new 'pros' are not as big of gamblers as The old school players. They tend to be introverted and mainly mathematical players, whereas the older players played by feel. Though there are still gamblers out there that are pro poker players, I believe that the amount of pros that gamble away thier winnings is lower now.

As for the 30-50k debate. 50k when you are young is a great salary to start at. even if you didn't have benifits. Think about how much a teacher makes, or many college graduates fresh out of college.

Melch