Thread: Dignity
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Dignity

[ QUOTE ]
Another trick question with a hidden agenda no doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assure you that's not what it is. Since it apparently wasn't very clear to anyone, let me expand my question, and give my answer.

I'm asking what value dignified behavior has in the life of a Christian, if he lives by the bible? By dignity I'm talking self-respect, poise, acting with "inherent nobility and worth" (dictionary.com), etc.

I think that Christian teachings are against dignity in its followers. Turning the other cheek isn't what I would call dignified behavior. Lying prostrate before God also is not dignified. Therefore, I don't think dignity has any value for Christian life. Correct me if I'm wrong.

On the other hand, dignity seems very important for atheists and even nontheistic religions. Having dignity seems to imply that one values one's life while on earth. It can even be an act of rebellion against death, against the temptation to weakness -- a worthy display of inner strength. Whereas Christians (should?) turn against human pride, atheists should live to prove that it exists.

I'm not poking fun at Christians, just trying to see what their take on this is, if I'm right about their view on dignity.