View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: A Question for Christians

[ QUOTE ]
The insertion of thought,feeling and will impulses in the brain is a recent episode in the history of man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about how scientists have caused people to think, feel, or "will", by stimulating certain parts of the brain? I don't think you are, because that would support my position. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
That thinking is associated with the nervous system is self evident but certainly not feelings nor will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking is associated with the brain (which is part of the nervous system). You say that is self-evident (I'm not sure it is, but science supports it, so it is definitely evident). However, you don't think feelings are too? Really? That's... interesting. There has been a lot of study done to show that feelings are associated with brain activity. That's how we have medicine for depression. And, that's how drugs affect our feelings -- by inhibiting or stimulating certain parts of the brain.

[ QUOTE ]
If there is truly only the physical then one shouldn't say "I Think" but that "My Brain Thinks".

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say "My Brain", that infers an "I". "I" is just a word. We can use it however we want. It's "self-evident" that "I exist". What "I" is, is not so self-evident, but whatever it is (a soul, or an emergent property of higher-brain activity), we can still call it "I".