View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 07:24 AM

Default 5/10 NL, HUGE POT, Extracting $ with top set.

I always have trouble playing these hands and extracting value. When I hit my set out of position against a large raiser who I put on a large PP, I always try to lead out and hope they raise over the top with an overpair... But that looked wrong here.

Relavant stack sizes: Hero has a full stack which is $1000. Button, BB and UTG all have $800. UTG+2 is short at $120.

PREFLOP: Hero is dealt [10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]at UTG+1

UTG calls $10, Hero calls $10, UTG+2 calls, folds to the button who jacks it to $60, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, hero calls, UTG+1 calls. (POT: $300)

FLOP: [10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]: SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 180, UTG+2 folds, Button calls, everyone folds. (POT: $660)

TURN: [J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]: Hero bets $450, Villian Folds.

The turn card blew and I figured I might be beaten with a flush or a set of jacks but I would have to call an all in raise. I was trying to bet him out if he had a pair with a flush spade.

In retrospect, I'm thinking I would've made a lot more if I had checked to the button and trap the field of callers for a big Check-Raise. But maybe this was the right play since you shouldn't slowplay or give out free cards in a pot this large from that preflop action.