View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Question about a Stud situation.

It was Stud High.

Basically, I felt that by slow-playing, I may get a little bit more action from a marginal hand on latter streets, but if I go ahead and reraise on 3rd, then I can expect him to 3-bet if he has the likely big pair in the hole, which succeeds in getting multiple extra bets in the pot, at which point I can respond by slow-playing. I think defaulting to a slow-play right away misses a lot of value from both players on 3rd street when my opponent has what he is expected to have; a big pair in the hole. Even if a raise on 3rd did slow him down, there are still ways I can get a double bet in on 5th street. Plus, this guy was going to the river with any hand no matter what, especially if he considered it worth raising from the bring-in, so there was no risk in scaring him into an eventual fold by showing strength early.

The hand went as follows: I reraised, he 3-bet, the 5 called two more bets, and I called. 4th street I hit a jack, he hits an 8, 5 catches an offsuit blank. I check, he bets, 5 calls, I call. 5th street I make open jacks, the bring-in player makes open 8's, and the 5 catches a card suited with his doorcard. I bet hoping he's made a high two pair and will now raise, bring-in raises, 5 folds, I reraise, bring-in caps. 6th we each caught blanks and again capped the pot, and then again on the river. He turns over (2 2) 2 for deuces full of 8's and I scoop a huge pot.