View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 12:48 PM

Default Just a fun hand (for me) from last night

I'm not really looking for input here, but I'll be glad to take it. I just enjoyed this hand so much, and felt so good about my read that I thought I would post it.

I’ve been playing at this Party $100 buy-in NLHE table for a bit, winning a little, and I have $160 in front of me. In middle position, I pick up Ah 3h, and one person calls the big blind before me. I limp also and LP, holding $140, limps after me. The SB, holding $90, completes his bet and the BB checks.

Pot has $10. Flop is Qh 7h 5c. Looks promising.

SB checks, BB bets $4, which is a candy-ass bet. First limper folds, I call, LP calls, and SB check-raises! However, he only raised to $10, which is another candy-ass play. I put him on a set or two pair. BB folds! I call and LP calls - I put him on a lesser flush draw. I am oddly sure of this, though I don’t know why - I don’t usually feel this confidant about a read. Pot has $44.

Turn is the very lovely 8h, giving me the current nuts. The SB thinks for a while, and I feel good about putting him on a set or two-pair: He has just become afraid of the flush. I know that if I bet and LP raises, we will lose him, so I click the “Check” advance action in order to give a false tell.

After more thought, he finally checks, so my advance action goes through and LP bets $25. SB thinks for a bit and calls, then I check-raise all in. I actually thought I would lose them both here, I mean, what else could I have for a huge check-raise here? But they BOTH called me.

River was a blank. LP had 9h Jh for the lesser flush (but praying for a Th to make a straight flush). SB had 55 for a set of fives. (Good thing the board didn’t pair.) I scoop a huge pot for a $230 profit.