View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: My Truth, Your Truth, The Truth

The statement "there is no actual truth" contradicts itself, because it is a statement of actual truth. That's all I'm getting at.

A common, almost overriding idea in modern society is that any essential proposition is either true or untrue. The idea that a proposition can be a little bit true and a little bit false is anathema to the western conception of reason. Therefore my belief that there exists no "the truth" violates one of the fundamental axioms of our culture.

If we do away with the law of the excluded middle, the entire structure of logic changes. Therefore it is hard to discuss the idea within a context of traditional logic. The implication, according to a conventional approach, is that everything is true and everything is false. Paradox and contradiction become acceptable, and everything whirls out of control.

I don't believe this conclusion is necessary, but most people are so used to looking for and then eliminating contradictions that thinking in any other way seems impossible.