View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Why small stakes players should move up in limit as soon as possib

[ QUOTE ]

I don't even believe focusing on winning is that correct in poker. Of course over the long term if you are good that's what happens, but it's a result not a cause. Winning is the result of playing better than your opponents and playing enough hands to let that come through. Play good poker and winnings will come. I moved up quickly and became a better player in 6 months than most do in a year or two because I played higher limits, NOT JUST TO WIN BUT TO GET GOOD and at times it was a short term financial sacrafice but the long term gains have paid for it many times over.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think 2p2 low limit players are doing here? Playing hands, posting questions about decisions they didn't understand, getting feedback, taking those lessons and applying them to the game, and seeing what happens. Over time, they get it, they have a bigger bankroll, and they move up.

I agree that some lessons can't be learned at 2/4. Some of the skills and plays you'll make and see at higher limits are totally inapplicable in a lot of 2/4 games. However, if you haven't mastered the lower game, you'll still be making fundamental mistakes that better players at higher limits will just devour.

Furthermore, moving up too fast and "learning" as a losing player at a high limit is an expensive price to pay. Moving up steadily always leaves you with a solid bankroll to handle the swings and a solid grasp of good poker skills. Moving up to a high limit in a short time could teach you something, but you may not be there long enough to understand what's going on. Or you may not have a good enough undersanding of it yet. Or you might run good and get stuck with some bad habits, then start losing and attribute it to a bad run and before you know it you are way down.

Finally, glad you were able to learn so much more than the rest of us so fast. Wish I were that smart. Must be why I'm still playing 5/10.