View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Best Video Game 1988-1994 Round 3

[ QUOTE ]
That's a good analysis, Swede. I wouldn't mind having a few more toys to play with, perhaps some discovered by humanity, rather than just lasers, and some new ones from aliens. It might be interesting to have more complicated decisions about weapons choices than, "Sweet, now I have the heavy plasma. I'll give all my guys one of those." Even that giant robotic thing that tagged around with the etherials that was supposedly resistant to plasma went down easier with a heavy plasma gun than with a laser rifle, to which it was especially vulurable. A new pair of alien breeds (since they always seem to come in pairs) could also be an interesting challenge. I think a couple tweaks like this would probably be more refreshing than a multiplayer expansion. Any diplomatic functionality, it would seem, would have to overwhelmingly favor allying into one super-team. A four player game would be like starting out with four bases with four times the UFO hunting power, four times the research and manufacturing capability, etc. Stretching out the solo options a bit would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always had a place for lasers. Always.

No worry about ammo, which used up etherium supply. If I remember right the laser pistol fired faster or more times per round than anything in the game. A guy with a laser was less dangerous when mind controlled and wouldn't immediately dump all his plasma ammo attacking my guys. A laser could blow out a wall without wasting precious plasma ammo, etc. I remember getting lots of use out of laser long after plasma was available even if I had a huge ammo/etherium supply. (That was what they called it, right? Think so.)

I could see stretching out the tech tree if the game was multiplayer, but thought it was fine for single player, and plenty challenging enough.