View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Best Video Game 1988-1994 Round 3

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they are all trivially easy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't every RPG easy? I haven't played nearly as many as you guys but can't you beat any RPG just by spending a lot of time on it, no matter how much you suck? I mean so can just keep on building stats until your character is just ridiculously strong? Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eventually you can acquire lots of knowledge that helps you do things better even if you're an average player, but you can also figure stuff out yourself, which I guess might make you a better than average player. But it comes down to where you're at at the end. And everybody can get there to a certain extent skill-wise.

Not everybody can get there equipment wise, which can mean almost everything, since the kind of stuff you get by being in a good guild puts you light years ahead in terms of hit points, spells, damage you can do, etc.

But that's not the same as skill. There are many top level people in a RPG who are dumb as a rock and many nowhere near that level who are excellent players and can handle situations much harder than other people anywhere near their level.

Since by the time you reach anywhere near the endgame in these games the whole thing becomes about what equipment you have and what social contacts you have more than what skill you have, how good you really are actually becomes a pretty minor matter. You can be startlingly good compared to others, but when you're attacking stuff 60 or 70 or 100 at a time, that edge may easily not matter or even be seen.