View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Best Video Game 1988-1994 Round 3

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

would anyone else be interested in doing a graphical/engine (if needed) overhaul of X-COM? Im sure I could nab the source code somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really worth it, what does it add to a turn based game?

[ QUOTE ]

How bout attempting a multiplayer version?

[/ QUOTE ]

Been done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think a graphical update would be nice. I mean, it's not a requirement, but I think it would be a welcome addition.

I have no idea how a multiplayer version would work. Multiple human factions competing for the honor of fighting the aliens? Hmmm. Actually. That might have some potential. Different companies vie for the funding of the world governements and gain or lose it by outperforming the others. You lose when you run out of funding, or when the aliens kill you off. Well, the problem is the time elapsing outside of combat is quasi-real time. You'd probably have to discretize the passage of days some how. I'm not sure how you'd deal with multiple teams getting a chance to detect, shoot down, and raid the same UFO. And if you aren't the one who gets to raid it, what do you do while the other guy is? Do you get to raid the UFO at the same time? Take pot shots at the other guy's men?

Really, though, this was a game that was written for 386's running DOS. I wouldn't mind a version that runs on Athlon 64's running WinXP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone who ever played X-COM pretty much was nuts for it, and has been waiting for a decent more modern sequel all this time. It's amazing that in all the attempts, nobody has ever gotten it right. All we've gotten is "improvements" that change the gameplay around and ruin the game.