View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Red Sox pay $11 million to rid themselves of Edgar Renteria

[ QUOTE ]
I don't look at this deal as Renteria + $11 million for the prospect. I believe the Red Sox would have given Renteria for nothing to any team willing to take on his contract. It was a mistake that they wanted to erase.

Renteria was a free agent aquistion that "cost" the Sox nothing other than a draft pick. Since he wasn't playing anywhere near to his contract his "value" to the Sox was zero, maybe even less than zero.

So I look at this trade as $11 million for the prospect. Is the Atlanta Braves top prospect worth $11 million? I really don't know as there is no precedent for teams selling their top prospects that I know of.

[/ QUOTE ]

like you said earlier, its 8million as there is virtually no chance in hell renteria would be worth picking up the option on at the rate he was going.

it takes a player 6 FULL seasons of MLB service before they become free agents. so if we use the 11 million figure, then they are basically adding 1.8m each year to martes salary (which starts at 325k if i am correct?). so lets say for arguments sake that with the added 1.8m, he will be paid an average of 3m over the next 6 years. the red are gambling that he will produce like rolen, yet be paid like muellar. if he produces like muellar, then he gets paid like muellar. a good calculated risk IMO. use the 8m figure and it becomes even sweeter.

EDIT: from anotehr board:

[ QUOTE ]
Sublime, the $3 million buyout is included in the $11 million that the Sox are paying based on my understanding. The $11 million paid to Atlanta becomes $8 million paid if Renteria's option for 2009 is exercised.

[/ QUOTE ]