View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Is panspermia a scienctific theory?

[Quote] However, the example you choose to put forward involves 1) concious effort on the part of the breeder to select mutations

[/ QUOTE ]

But the mutations' occurence are still random. Even in a relatively small genetic population like dogs (I'm talking originally - at the beginning of selective breeding) you can get wildly different organisms (for example, greyhound vs. bulldog) resulting from selection.

[ QUOTE ]
2) results in minor ( in relation to the differences between an ameoba and a human ) differences that remain constrained by a ( and I am going to get the word wrong ) phylum or genus of a animal specie.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're taking the extremes. Over the relatively short period breeders have created large differences between the wild animals and the result of breeding.

[ QUOTE ]
No breeder has ever turned a Clydesdale into a Pug.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither has evolution. It doesn't work like that.

[ QUOTE ]
But my question wasn't "Has any scientist caused speciation in single-celled organisms?"; I was actually quite specific in my question, and the effect I was asking about was very limited. You did not respond to that question, it really should be a simple one: "Yes and here is a citation" or "No, actually no one has documented that yet."

[/ QUOTE ]

Resistance to antibiotics last for more than 2 generations. I'm not sure what you were asking then. You asked for an example, I gave one.

[ QUOTE ]
If there were zero mutations could you have evolution?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
only that a strain becomes more prevelant in that environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the whole point of natural selection.

[ QUOTE ]
Evolution would require that there were non-resistant strains which mutated and one of those mutations was resistance: such an environment should be reproducible and testable -- has it been?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that there was variation already in the population of bacteria. The selection pressure was the antibiotics.

[ QUOTE ]
Does the information that specie A's DNA differs from specie B's by 2% neccessarily require that they at some point shared an ancestor specie C?

[/ QUOTE ]

See a previous thread's Vitamin C explanation for an example.

[ QUOTE ]
ID explains, but ID isn't science.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not falsifiable.

And after reading the other responses I should have said "Most mutations that affect phenotype are harmful" because most mutations are in the intron, etc. and are neutral.

P.S. Sorry for the curt replies. I have a ton of crap to do today. The funny thing is most of it involves a manuscript on evolution [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]