View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Texas Holdem Hand

PREFLOP: With just one limper coming in front of you, I would fold 22 since you still have no idea if you will get the multiway actaion necessary for this hand to be profitable.

FLOP: Capping with your set looks fine. An alternative line would be to just call the BB's 3 bet with the intention of raising the turn.

TURN: This is where I dont like your play. When the BB leads out the turn you should not freeze up here and call, you should raise, you still have a guy behind you to worry about, and its very important in this large pot to do everything you can to protect your hand. If the Button has QJ,QT,KQ,AQ, the pot is now large enough where you would want to make him fold correctly or call incorrectly with these hands. I realize that the Button may never fold QJ or AQ if he has it but you can still force him to call incorrectly which is still +EV for you, but if youre turn raise makes him lay down a KQ or QT type hand this would be wonderful for your hand.

About you freezing up on the turn and just calling...I understand that this board is pretty scary but if you assume that the BB would play AA,QQ,JJ,AQ, and QJs the same way preflop+flop+turn, you are still an 11-9 favorite over the BB's range. Given the size of this pot, you should be willing to raise this turn even if you were an underdog to the BB's range to protect your hand the times it is good, but the fact that you are still a 11-9 favorite is more the reason you should be popping this turn.

OK, now given the way you played it, should you call the turn 3 bet? You are getting 9-1 odds to call this 3 bet and youre not closing the action. I still cant see folding here. If its 2 pair vs a straight you still have 4 outs, and youre almost getting the right price. IF its AQ vs QJ then you have the best hand and youre a big favorite to win this large pot. I know you could easily be drawing to 1 out, but this pot is large enough where you have to call IMO. There are still other illogical scenarios like AK vs AJ or AJ vs AQ, or AJ vs QJ, that you can hope for also.

Also, I assumed that the Aggro player was the BB and the solid player was the Button.