View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Re: I need help with self control...

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone has tips for how I can improve my state of mind, I think I will finally be able to be a consistent winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is THE most difficult aspect to poker- and also, that's what makes it the key.

From the VERY little I know about the game, I can tell it's more of a battle against yourself, than the other players at the table. It's all about reprogramming one's mentality- a huge feat in itself.

It ALWAYS amazes (and really impresses) me that when the top pros on the TV lose a tournament- how they lose gracefully- smile, shake hands, etc.

I think you can learn all the probabilities, pot-odds, outs, etc; that you like- but at some point you're going to need to look inside and learn the most difficult lessons of all: The effects of compulsion, addiction, excitement, reward, jealousy, anger, self-pity, etc.

It's a battle that (I believe) most will lose- that in itself will either bust them or at best, naturally limit their progression to a set level.

My plan is to learn the hardest lessons at the start, while it's cheap to do so ($0.02/0.04LH!!!). The fine tuning of the math can come a little later.

Sorry, I don't have any specific answers to offer.

Regards,
Ian