Thread: good raise?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 04:47 PM

Default Re: good raise?

You are correct that drawing hands usually want multi-way action. The problem is that when you have enough opponents to make it "worth" drawing to your straight, it becomes significantly less likely that a small straight will hold up. Also, you don't have the extra outs that a big straight or flush draw does. You can't expect to win a multi-way pot by pairing Sevens, or even making two pair. If you have KQJ in a heads-up pot, you can easily win by hitting a pair.

I usually play 765 but not 654. Having a 4 out is probably enough to turn 765 into a muck. Most players lose money on straight draws. Judging by the kinds of questions Wyatt is asking, I am fairly confident that he would be better off avoiding them too. I consider myself to be a reasonably accomplished stud player, and I don't make much on straight draws myself. I make money on flush draws, big pairs, and roll-ups.

When the guy bets out with 46 showing, I agree that it's more likely that he has a pair in the hole (not necessarily a big one) than that he has a pair of Fours (or Sixes). I therefore don't fear the paired door card as much as I usually would. The poster should raise when he hits his straight, and I think he pays off even against the two open pair. If he "knows" the other guy is full, he should fold, but I think I pay it off.