View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Best Video Game 1988-1994 Round 3

I don't know how you would do multi-player, but that game or any game with a (very) similar combat system would be great.

It would be challenging to try to make something like that work, since a solid amount of your time is spent in resource management too. Perhaps you could have the resource management parts timed, like chess clocks time players or something.

You know, now that I remember, they did do a very brief online version, one of those kind that would be playable for just a short time, not a full on battle. Supposedly it missed the mark. It wasn't one of their regular series iterations. Heck, it might even have been e-mail, I can't remember.

But damn, those aliens were cool and scary and the combat was good. I actually got all excited when I heard they had come out with a new X-Com a couple months ago, but like virtually every sequel, it got really bad reviews. (Only the second got decent reviews.) I kinda knew that would happen, as they've tried all kinds of variations on it in sequels. The problem is, they were all kinds of variations! The original model was basically flawless, and the variations all dragged it down. If they came out with a new updated X-Com that was pretty much just like the original, I'd happily get it.