View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Peggy Noonan on Imigration

[ QUOTE ]
First, it troubles me that my good friend spends his morning reading Peggy Noonan/

[/ QUOTE ]

12:56 am is morning? You must be a real early riser [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Another disgusting piece from Ms. Noonan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although flawed in spots, I didn't see it as "disgusting". I'm in favor of reasonable imigration, but certainly it needs to be legal, as it was in the old days and as it is today with people from most other areas. I agree with Noonan that the border sieve increases a sense of lawlessness (BTW, I don't see her column implying this makes illegal immigrants "cynical lawbreakers" per Chris Alger). She doesn't even mention that this is increasingly becoming a national security problem - probably the biggest reason to start taking this issue seriously.

All my Grandparents came throuh Ellis Island. They all kept some attachment to the "old country". But they (and most that came with them) made sure their children assimilated. Were not losing all of that, but we certainly seem to be losing more than before.

Still, the best thing that could happen would be for lands to the south to build fair and prosperous societies. The fact that they haven't (along with the tremendous discrepency between rick and poor) is a tragedy.

~ Rick

PS I'm not sure where this is a Republican v Democtrat, liberal v conservative, left v right issue. I've seen both sides and the middle all over the place.