Thread: Fun with AKs
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Fun with AKs

The table isn't nearly as good as the preflop action here would indicate. UTG+2 is an unknown who just sat down. MP1 is tight and very aggressive--I wouldn't say he's really all that good, but he understands aggression and how to use it (not always when). CO is a little too loose and passive, but not terribly so in either regard. BB is very loose (about 40 VPIP over 120 hand sample) with about average aggression pre- & postflop.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (20.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (12.70 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, intending to overcall for 1 bet

Debatable decisions on every street, probably. FWIW, my thinking was as follows on possible holdings:

UTG+2: ? No way to know without a read, but I'm running on the assumption that he's holding another big ace until proven otherwise.
MP1: Either another AK or an underpair to the Q. He would've made his presence known on the flop if he hit anything.
CO: God only knows. He could be in here with a sooted ace, a big offsuit ace, or a pocket pair. Whichever it is, he's never going to fold it for 1 bet.
BB: At least one overcard to the flop or some sort of pair. He probably started with either a pocket pair, two cards higher than 9, an ace, two sooted cards, or two offsuit connectors.