View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Tribe loses hoffman, resigns wickman

I'm not knocking bob, but they missed the playoffs last year and are yet to improve their team. In fact they look like they are getting worse right now- lost Howry and replaced millwood with byrd. This is a team desperately in need of upgrades at right field and first base.
5 years is a lot for Millwood, since a year ago he failed a physical which is why the tribe only got him for one year, but he proved he was healthy throughout the year. I understand the Indians not wanting to saddle themselves with a 5 yr 50 mill contract- but they have to become more active if they want to be seen serious about winning the WS. Remember that Paul Byrd will be older at the end of the next two years than millwood will be at the end of a 5 yr contract.
Meh- i'm not sold on Nomar- if hes on the cheap and can actually play first (or right) then i would say 2 yrs 5-6 mill. He doesn't seem to be getting much attention right now, and that might be a realistic price range. But again,, is it a real upgrade? hes been injured lately and not hitting nearly as well when on the field. Less of a gamble than Gonzo was last year, but for more money. I've heard rumors that the marlins fantastic young outfielder could be availible. For a guy like that (name escapes me at the moment) i would give them their top two picks from our farm system for him. He costs nothing and with him in right flyballs would disappear in one of our outfielder's gloves.