View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Question For Raptor (Re: Why aren\'t you better?)

btw a lot of your style should tie into the prize structure as well. The prize structure for S+G's in general reward a very tight survivalist style, whereas the prize structure for Multis rewards more swashbuckling and gambling styles. It's important to be able to switch back and forth depending on the prize structure of whatever game you are playing. I mean if the top 9 places were paid on a sliding scale, then it would almost always be correct to be a ridiculous tightass against poor opponents. At some point the prize structure makes it so that it becomes correct to loosen up more.

I believe the 50-30-20 prize structure rewards tight play very much, especially against the quality of opponents that one faces, and if you play nearly perfectly late in the event.

I believe that for almost everyone the best thing to do is to simply play tight early and learn how to play well in the late-middle stages when most of your plays are allin or calls of allins. Im sure that other styles work for other players. I do know some relatively loose players who do very well at the $215s as well, although their sample sizes are very small and I'm hesitant to read much into their results just yet. I've also known many players who attempt to "open up their game" and became on the receiving end of very long and pronounced slumps, and they basically give up sit and gos.

For the most part I think that people need to work on their shortstack, late game play more than anything, and their instincts in such situations. I simply believe that all the tight players who don't win so much, probably don't because they remain too tight late in the event or because they don't play headsup nearly perfectly or whatever.