View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: When did you quit hearing music...

[ QUOTE ]
I got into lots of albums in a huge way growing up, but I think the one that might have made one of the deepest down to the bone impressions on me, where I could practically smell and taste every beat and really grooved on every last detail of the music, was Remain in Light by The Talking Heads. Speaking in Tongues had a similar effect on me, but probably not as much. Remain in Light is definitely one of my favorite music experiences to this day.

Also Gang of Four. Though the music was simpler, it was really unusual in that the bass took the lead, and the lyrics were extremely witty and biting and angry.

And XTC did it for me too. I like really sonically dense music with lots of things going on musically on different levels, so you can choose to listen to different parts of the song instead of just basically having one thing thumped into your head over and over and nowhere else to go in the song besides that. And usually I like witty or incisive lyrics. I got into XTC's Senses Working Overtime enormously, and could listen to that over and over a ridiculous amount of times. Also Generals and Majors and many of their others.

Also a big fan of Peter Gabriel. The energy and range of So is phenomenal, and it's intensely musical. Liked his earlier ones too; Red Rain, Solisbury Hill, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about Peter Gabriel's early Genesis stuff, dig that?