View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: A Question for Christians

[ QUOTE ]
You are saying you are interested in hearing others views to expand your knowledge; he is interested in trapping someone and showing how stupid they are.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I may be if I fell for his trap :-)
If somebody poses a question poorly ( or even trickily) and I get 'trapped' by answering it by not seeing the box I've put myself in, that's a valuable learning experience. I'll have learned something about the implication of certain phrases or the sloppiness of my thinking or ...
Even if somebody had crappy motives - and I don't think wanting to show up my sloppy thinking is a bad thing ... since it's one of my goals. with ego problems ( Lestat..I'm not referring to you in any of this, just to the general fear)
One of my best lessons in clarifying issues came when I was 'set-up' on stage in a public debate on constitutional issues years ago. I learned to be sure I agreed that the question was framed in a way I could answer.
I just fail to see anything trappy in the hypothetical posed and I think hypotheticals are necessary in many areas of discussion.
Years ago I was laughed at for asking about taking a monkey cell and tinkering with it and implanting it in a human..what would the baby be? Turns out, just like lestats, it has some relevance in moral decisions of today.
I tell people on boards I sit on to stay home if they're going to agree with me. I was quoted in the a newspaper saying "your job is to disagree, do it!" You ideas best friends are people that disagree with them. I think we should look stupid about once a week just to remind us that we really are. luckyme