View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: A Question for Christians

[ QUOTE ]
While taking positions to their logical extremes is a valid method to expose the full implications of various arguements, these types of far out hypothetical questions only have the intentions you gave.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, what useful thought could come out of "hmmm..what would be happening if I rode a beam of light." Pumping your intuition with simplified starting points is one of secrets of flushing out good and new understanding of concepts that are hard to articulate.
Archimedes - "I could move the world" scenario.
Descartes Demon.
Philosophy is full of visualization tools and hypothetical scenarios.

[ QUOTE ]
A sincere person wanting to understand christianity can read the bible and commentaries and catechisms on same. If they wish to honestly know more about buddhism, then they can read the sutras and writings of buddhists through the ages.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, what exactly (oops..details, details sorry)..Roughly are you hoping to acheive when you ask somebody "why do YOU think X, or How does Y appear from your view". Does a reply "read Sartre" add anything. How could Sartre know what Hortense is thinking and why? [ QUOTE ]
A sincere person wanting to understand christianity can read the bible and commentaries and catechisms on same.

[/ QUOTE ] Bluffthis, that's my point. Why if I can understand your views or xtrianities views on anything by doing what you suggest does there seem to be 300 versions of what that view is? When I read the bible and did my catechism I didn't end up with NRs views, your views, Peter666's views... why? if it's all attainable the way you suggest.
I like my explaination better. People interpret their religious viewpoint based on a variety of needs that they bring to the table ( else you'd be right and I'd find your view when I read bible) so any person you are discussing a moral or general religion influenced area with needs to be asked for their spin on it. "I" won't find your views in the bible any more than you'll find mine in Sartre et al.