View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: First Hour Advice from RecPoker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, vets says this advice is teh suck. Does anyone care to explain why? Explain to me like I am a five year old who have no idea what to make of some of the "wisdoms" here, for example Gigabet's block-theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what Adanthar said was spot on. The guy is assuming that if the button calls, you are drawing dead. Um, no, you arent.

Aside from that, the advice isn't very thought out in my opinion. The stuff about compounding fraction is just silly. On the one hand he says you should take risks so you can double up, that way you won't be risking your tournament later if you run into a big pot. But on the other hand he says he doesn't like to take coinflips for a large part of his stack, only for certain fractions of his stack. Doesn't seem very justified. All around I think most of his advice is pretty "basic", and as said some of the anthology posts are way better. I don't think its bad advice really, I just am not very impressed by it.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as the first hour of tourneys goes, and that is where this advice is aimed, i think this post makes some good points. Though it generalizes in some areas, (I think thats the main problem people have with it), I felt that the attention to % of stack risked in coin flips was thought provoking. Although the exact amount I would (risk isnt the right word, promotes weak tight play) "invest" in a coin flip depends on how the table is playing, and what i felt my chances were in the tourney, it never hurts to explore other people's thinking.

Cant remember the rest bc it did seem a little basic.