View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: When not to make a continuation bet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, if you fire out anything less than a full pot bet on this board, I'm calling and leading out the turn with almost any two assuming I have a decent stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of the top posters here advocate using less than a pot sized continuation bet. Harrington does the same in HOH. Don't think that just because a bet is less than pot sized it doesn't indicate strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you should use less than a pot sized continuation bet most of the time. But if you use it against a draw heavy board against a good player, he will know that you do not have a hand because if you did you would be protecting against the draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but this shows a complete lack of 2nd level thinking. Make the bet that you think will be called or folded to based on what you think villain thinks of your play.

Take the following example. Pot is 300 and I fire a CB of 200 into it. Villain now has to call 200 into a 500 pot. He's getting 2.5:1 which is inadequate odds for almost any draw going to the turn - so we're still protecting against the draw and risking less of our stack to do it. It accomplishes the same exact thing. Making pot sized bets here is exactly why you are on the losing end with regard to contination bets. You're risking and losing too much so that you need to win more often to compensate.

If you wanted to consider the odds going all the way to the river that's a different story because now you're considering odds with two cards to come which is usually only done in an all-in confrontation. Villain shouldn't call this bet going to the turn with a draw based on these odds unless he knows he'll be seeing a river card - as would be the case in an all-in confrontation.