View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Harold Pinter on U.S. Foreign Policy and Iraq

A couple of things I found amusing about this lecture:

[ QUOTE ]
The invasion of Iraq was a bandit act, an act of blatant state terrorism, demonstrating absolute contempt for the concept of international law.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saddam Hussein: his rise to power

Some years ago a European interviewer nervously quoted reports that the Baghdad authorities might, on occasions, have tortured and perhaps even killed opponents of the regime. Was this true? Saddam was not offended. Rather, he seemed surprised by the naivete of the question. "Of course," he replied. "What do you expect if they oppose the regime?"

The Personal History of Saddam Hussein

According to reports by Hanna Batatu (a government reporter), Hussein rose quickly through the ranks, due to his extreme efficiency as a torturer.

And the leftists condemn the U.S. for removing this despot who repeatedly violated international law, strong armed his way to power illegitimately, and was responsible for god knows how many murders. His strong suit was torture. Too funny.

[ QUOTE ]
The United States supported and in many cases engendered every right wing military dictatorship in the world after the end of the Second World War. I refer to Indonesia, Greece, Uruguay, Brazil, Paraguay, Haiti, Turkey, the Philippines, Guatemala, El Salvador, and, of course, Chile.

[/ QUOTE ]

No left wing murderous dictators? Puhleeze.

[ QUOTE ]
How many people do you have to kill before you qualify to be described as a mass murderer and a war criminal? One hundred thousand? More than enough, I would have thought. Therefore it is just that Bush and Blair be arraigned before the International Criminal Court of Justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

And these people support the Saddam Hussein regime and basically hold these folks up as shining examples of freedom fighters:

Iraq Bomber Strikes on Bus; Up to 30 Dead

Iraq Insurgents Claim to Kill U.S. Hostage