View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Reraise on Turn with small straight in a very big pot?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought, that my straight maybe was only second best right there, but on the other hand I can buy a top flush, so it would be kind of "semi-bluff-reraise"!

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reason to think that your straight is not good at this time. I would be pretty sure that your straight is good. You have shown no aggression to this point, so your raise might not have been respected. Anyways, here is how I would play this hand.

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is CO with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $2. MP1 posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold this preflop. At the time, only the blinds and the poster were invested other than the raiser. The possibility of domination with your ace is too much. You are suited which is great, but unless you are positive this is going to be a multiway large pot, I think you have to fold.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: (12.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is where I think you have to be in there raising. The more bets that get put in here, the better. You have 9 outs to the nuts, which you will hit 35% of the time. With 4 people in the hand, that ALONE, is enough to be jamming the pot. You also have 3 more outs (the other 3 fives) to a straight, which is most likely good. And finally, your raises may knock someone out with a hand like AJ buying you a couple outs if an ace hits. This is not likely, and I wouldn't put too much emphasis on these outs, but it is a possibility. So with your flush, straight, and discounted overcard outs, you probably have about 13 outs twice. You'll hit this 50% of the time. Raise, Raise, Raise!

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: (10.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I don't see how you are not raising this pot. You are almost guaranteed to be good here. There are 4 of you in a pot where you have the second nuts and a STRONG redraw to the nuts if, for some reason, you are beat. You HAVE to 3-bet this, hoping that the button caps and traps the other two players for two more big bets each.

[ QUOTE ]

River: (18.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB folds, UTG checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's where I am not comfortable completely, but I think you have to put a bet in the pot. If it is raised behind you, you can make a determination on how likely someone has a 6. I don't think anyone does, by looking at the preflop and flop action though. The button was playing like he had TT or 99 all hand. Although, I might chicken out myself and check/call this hand. That was longer than I thought, and if anyone has any differing thoughts on how to play the hand, but that is what I would do on all streets.