View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Navy Seals vs Army Rangers vs other special forces vs UFC

[ QUOTE ]
But the Chinese have been doing precisely that for hundreds of years and probably thousands of years. Tai Chi and Wing Chun both make a specialty of it in their pushing hands and sticking hands, respectively, and some other Chinese arts have analogous training.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't do Tai Chi or Wing Chun, but I do know about both pushing hands and sticking hands (chi sao). But I'm not exactly seeing how those train you to gouge someone's eyes out better.

I think the problem with techniques that rely on striking the eyes, groin, and other sensitive areas is that as humans (especially ones trained in martial arts), we instinctively protect such areas. Mate that instinct with training in how to properly defend such areas (which just about every martial art does) and a system that relies on such strikes is all but shut down, just like a style like Tae Kwon Do (which I've studied) is practically useless against someone who's on top of you.

I have little experience with the SCARS training or whatever these special forces do. But I do have a wide variety of experience, both personal and observed, of many different martial arts and MMA in general. I've also spoken to former military-turned-martial artists who've said that the hand to hand fighting they received was basically for conditioning and for instilling a combative spirit.