View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Crappy hands you think are ahead on the flop....

1. The majority of the time you should bet the flop and lean toward folding to any raise - definitely fold if anyone cold calls the raise.

2. If called by one player I bet the turn far more often than not; if you're raised, call if you think you're drawing live - but you need to be fairly certain you are. (In a bigger game against tougher players you'd need to mix this up from time to time - check-raising when you miss the turn, coming out betting as opposed to ck-raising when you spike your deuce, occasionally 3-betting when you've seen the raisor make moves in this spot with over-cards or when you think he will call with middle pair etc. - but here at BM 3-6 I don't think it's needed unless you have been throwing away alot of hands after betting the turn and getting raised. Even 3-6ers occasionally notice things.)

This is still a small pot and at best you have 5 outs - at worst you have 2.

This is a good example of "betting and folding when you have no outs" although the second half of that rule (check-calling when you have outs) is iffy here. If the turn is a scare-card and your bet gets raised you can safely fold; the raisor has to be concerned that this card helped you and is unlikely to raise with any hand you can beat (other than with a miracle 8 and even this may get you no more than a split).

On the river I would mix it up since there is really no clear-cut best play.

The straightforward play is to bet into passive players when you improve (call if raised since betting the river and folding to a raise will make you a target for the rest of the session especially if you were the aggressor through-out the hand) and check-fold when you don't; a passive oponent won't bet the river here with a hand worse than yours.

Check-raise aggressive players when you hit and check-call when you don't.

Anyone who usually plays bigger games will think I've lost my mind but this is the best approach in low-limit games - at least those here in A.C.

- If you find yourself in L.A. ignore everything I just said; those folks are nuts. Against them there is no debate re. what to do if you check the flop and it gets checked thru - it'll never happen. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I will now sit back and await the inevitable - someone saying in 2 sentences that which took me 20. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]