View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: JJ in the SB

[ QUOTE ]
First, I'm a NL player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok, we didn't know. Not that we'll be any nicer.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason for the call rather than 3-bet. I don't beleive I'm getting any pocket pairs, any small suited connectors in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but you have a better hand than them that will win more often, and you earn value on every bet that goes into the pot. Suited connectors and low pp's in this case are behind you. The only way they make money is from implied odds. The more they have to put in preflop, the more they have to make up postflop and the less profitable their play will be. This means you gain.

[ QUOTE ]
I do not want to price myself in for the rest of this hand against 5 opponents. If an A,K,Q falls on the flop w/o a Jack I think I can safely assume my hand may as well be Jack high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak-tight thinking. I am not loving those cards, esp an A, against this crowd, but by no means are you automatically beat on say a Q high board. Furthermore, you will flop an overpair a subtantial portion of the time (half?). And sometimes overs will fall with a J. Anyway, you're putting in 1/6th of the money for a hand that will win well over 1/6th of the time (maybe 45/50%?). Huge profit there, don't pass up on it. All those times your opponents miss the flop, you gain bigtime. And that will be often.