View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: What am I doing with these aces??

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how I feel about the flop check - it seems like this is one of those situations where you know you're going to call a bet anyway, so why not bet out? A lot of hands you're beating will call you here. If you bet, UTG raises, and then someone else calls/re-raises, you can be pretty confident you're behind too.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more likely scenario: I bet, villain raises, someone coldcalls... Now where am I? Am I really going to check-fold the turn because of the coldcall?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't see how you're aleady giving credit for someone to have a Queen. Even if the action goes like that, I still don't think it's that bad a situation, as you can just continue to bet. The cold-caller will often have a King here as well. If you are really afraid of the Queen after the cold-call, you can always just go in to check-call mode, knowing that either UTG or MP will bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not giving anyone credit for a queen yet. I'm suggesting that betting the flop and calling a raise doesn't help much in the information department if there is a queen out any more than checking and calling). So the argument is whether bet-calling the flop is more profitable on average (knowing that if there is a coldcaller, I might be giving up my hand on the turn somewhat regularly) or if check-calling the flop to see what unfolds is better.

I've been doing some thinking about playing OOP against aggro villains and trying to find ways to exploit their aggro-ness. I think the line I took has a little to do with this. I like the idea of having position when aggro villain is going to be betting often. I like sitting back and seeing how everyone else responds before committing extra chips to the pot.

I really think the more interesting question is what I should have done after both villains folded. I nearly check-raised the flop. I nearly check-raised the turn. But I froze up and played passively (expecting to collect one bet from villain on each street). If I had a second shot at this hand, I think I'm check-raising the turn.