View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Live 3/6 -- Flopped Set

[ QUOTE ]
I understand.

However, I was not re-raising becuase I wanted to keep people in the pot, but rather because I felt that no one was going to fold regardless, and with such a scary board and that many players in the pot, I felt that by just calling It was wiser considering the ammount of draws and people in the pot.

If there were less people in the hand, I would re-raise UTG's flop checkraise in a heartbeat.

Is this type of thinking fundamentally flawed?

Thoughts on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

This thinking is fundamentally flawed.

In general, when you have a large multiway pot, and you know that you absolutely have an equity edge in the pot NOW, it is imperative for you to get in as much money in as you can NOW, when you know you're winning and everyone else is giving you money.

If the turn is bad, so be it. Don't "wait to see a safe turn" here. You have enormous equity on the flop: cash it in!

The times you want to wait until the turn are when you have a MUCH WEAKER HAND. Namely, one where seeing a safe turn card will do a lot to define our equity in the hand.

For example, let's say instead of TT here (for top set) you had ATs (for TPTK). In that situation, I would absolutely say that the best line would be to call the check-raise and then raise a safe turn card. With that hand, you actually don't have a huge equity edge on the flop, because so many cards beat you and you have basically no redraws. Seeing a good turn card will greatly increase your equity.

With TT, you have tons of equity already. A safe turn card only slightly increases your equity. Jam the pot now.

Does that help?