View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Calling preflop raises

[ QUOTE ]
How do I decide whether to call a raise that's come behind me after I've already called the BB? He makes the distinction between cold calling a raise, and calling a raise after I'm already in the pot, but I'm not clear on how to decide when to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've limped in and someone raises after you, always call the raise if it is only one bet. If someone re-raises before it gets back to you, you need to tighten up and play only the few hands that you would cold-call a raise with. (AA-TT,AKs).

[ QUOTE ]
Also, there are some pre flop hands that he recommends cold calling a raise in early/middle position, but the same hands in late position can only call if there are 3/4 in the pot (if at all). I don't understand this. Seems to me if you're willing to call in early position, you'd be more willing to call in late position. Can someone help clear this up for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are looking at the "Loose" guidelines. Meaning, on average, 6-8 players are seeing the flop each hand. When you are in early position, there is always the potential that many more players are going to enter the pot. However, in late position, on a hand that has been raised you are close to being the last to act and can see how many people are going to be in the pot. If there is only 1 player to enter the pot so far, it's going to be a small pot and there are only a few hands that you should Cold Call with. But if 4 or more have called the raise it opens up a lot more hands because the pot is guaranteed to be multi-way and large.