View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Are Winrates Normally Distributed?

Hi Josh,

I'll take a stab at addressing a few points.

The fundamental Random Variable in poker is the amount of money you win on one hand. This random variable has a distribution, which is certainly not Guassian.
First off, it's a discrete random variable. The mean is your winrate per hand. The max value values it can take are +12BB and -12BB (on Party Poker). The most probable event is 0, since you fold most hands.
Other frequently occurring values are -0.50BB and -0.25BB since these are the values you lose when you fold your blinds, and maybe -1.5BB since this is how much you lose when you raise pre-flop, completely blank the flop, bet the flop, and get raised.

So we get a sense of what the probability mass function of this random variable looks like: It's centered at your winrate (say .02bb) but its peak value is at 0. Then it has smaller peaks at popularly occuring values, such as -0.50BB, -0.25BB, etc. It is, obviously, not a normal distribution.

The Central Limit Theorem tells us that if we ADD together enough of these strange random variables, the sum, regarded as a random variable, must start looking more and more Guassian.

In your charts, when you group together a string of hands, you are adding all the random variable in each group, and this sum should starting looking Guassian the larger the group is (BB/1000 should look more Guassian than BB/10). With a 150k hand sample, I don't think you have enough hands to get a graph that shows this, since if you went to, say, BB/1000, you would only have 150 sample points. But I'm pretty sure that at some point, it would look like a nice bell-shaped curve.

Edit: You can start to see at BB/50 how the graph is looking more Guassian. Below BB/50 you have the nice feature that you have many smaple points. BUT each sample point is not yet being taken from a very Guassian distribution. Above BB/50 (BB/100 and up), you have the nice feature that the samples are being taken from a pretty Guassian distribution, BUT you don't have enough samples to draw the curve. If your DB was much larger, I think you would see the BB/100 look much closer to Guassian than the BB/50.

-v