View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: AK as an isolator, against an isolator

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with betting the turn, as some have pointed out, is that if UTG+1 will checkraise with a hand like JJ,I should call. However, putting two bets in on the turn is silly and unnecessary.

Now, before you hit "reply" and try to refute this, understand I said "the problem with betting the turn". That is, THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH BETTING THE TURN. However, I do not mean to state that those problems outweigh the benefits.

If I had to do it again, I think I'd check the turn and fold the river to his bet.

To those who say bet the turn, what do you do if he checkraises?

Thanks,

Josh

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Josh,

I'm in the "bet the turn" camp. While I agree that getting c/r on the turn would suck I think the benefits of a bet outweigh the risks associated with a call.

Before we start delving into situations, lets look at the bet conversation. His flop c/r indicates strength, especially since he intentionally c/r the field, but that doesn't always mean pair strength. He knows that you know that he's been raising lite, and he knows that you're 3bet range is also lite. I'd c/r w/ AK or AQ on that flop and would be doing so for value and the villians stats are almost identical to mine. Your flop 3 bet says "I want the hitchiker out. I don't want to wait till the turn to raise. I have a pair and I think its bigger than yours." At this point he's probably thinking you have TT-QQ (maybe KK).

Now, given all that. If you bet the turn he might call with hands that have only 3 outs (AK, AQ, KQ...) because he thinks he has 6 outs against your TT. If you bet the turn he might also fold hands that currently have you beat (77,88, and maybe TT) because he thinks he only has 2 outs. I guess my point is that had you played the hand like you had AK, then you'd never have any chance of getting a better hand to fold, but you didn't. You played the hand like you had a good PP, and might get a medium PP to fold.

I think the combined likelyhood that he calls when he shouldn't and folds when he shouldn't outweighs the likelyhood that you get c/r on the turn. I would be surprised if he would c/r this turn, after the other action, with anything less then KK, and I would probably fold to a c/r.

lf