View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Rate my new computer purchase

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tip. My current backup plan consists of burning DVDs of all my important data every few months, which is probably not ideal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Burning DVDs is fine for data (but a pain compared to an external HD or partition on second internal disk) but no good for WinXP and Progams on the C: Drive (keep in mind putting My Documents, Address Book, Favorites, and saved Emails on another disk isn't a problem).

The beauty of DOS based Ghost 2003 is that it takes a perfect snapshot of a known good setup. If you lose your drive you can get EVERY last program setting on the day you made the last image.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be building this myself as much as possible, although I have a friend who does this sort of thing for a living who can help out if I get in a jam.

I've built several Frankenstein systems in the past, so I'm hoping this one goes as smoothly as most have.

The worst problem I had to deal with was on my current rig. The chip was DOA when I built it. Took forever to figure out what the problem was.

[/ QUOTE ]

The main building issue that scares me is seating the processor correctly (especially after recent shutdown problems). I might go with a tested MB/processor combo if I build myself in a few years.

~ Rick