View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Chase the low draw?

[ QUOTE ]
Let me try my hand at the math. If it's 3 to 1 with implied pot odds, and 3 to 2 in favor to pick up a low card on the turn. That's fine, but if there's a low card, you have to pay off ANOTHER bet on the turn to see the river. That's 1.5 big bets right there for 1/2 the pot. (I'll edit this in a second)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jedi - Yes, that's the general idea. Thanks for the help.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'm now confused. Someone help me out here?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two different major factors involved.

The first is that when Hero does make the nut low, he will not necessarily be the only one making the nut low.

The second has to do with (as Greg puts it) Hero "paying a tax" when he splits the pot. If Hero puts one chip into a three chip pot and wins the whole (four chip) pot, Hero wins three chips. But if Hero only wins half of the (four chip) pot, Hero actually only wins one chip.

And if Hero puts one chip into a three chip and wins a quarter of the pot, Hero breaks even and doesn't really win anything at all. (In real life, you don't count getting your own chip back as winning a chip; that logic only works in simulations).

I'm going to respond to Ben and maybe that will make it clearer. I thought my blue chip, red chip, white chip example worked, but FatNutz writes that it doesn't. I'll look at that again and then get back in my response to Ben. Might take me a while.

Meanwhile, may the force be with you.

Buzz